Nowadays broccoli became very popular among all the vegetables. The reason why broccoli is so popular is because he and other vegetables from the Brassica family are fighting cancer with the help of the substance they produce called sulforaphane. If you want to know how to grow broccoli you should find out that this vegetable prefers a cool season.
Reading this article will help you find out how to grow broccoli in your garden:
- The perfect spot for you to find out how to grow broccoli is with a good drainage and a lot of air circulation, sunny but in the same time light shaded and the most important detail is no to have grown other members of Brassica vegetables in that place for at least 4 years.
- The next step in learning how to grow broccoli is to add the soil plenty of compost or some well-rotted manner that will fertilize the soil and offer your plants the best to grow healthy. The perfect soil to grow broccoli is one with the pH of 7.0 but your plants can manage with a 6.2 or 7.2 pH soil.
- Then, the next step on how to grow broccoli is to plant the seeds in the perfect time and this is two months before the last frost if you’re living in a cool climate, but if you’re living in a warm climate you should plant them in early spring.
- A great tip on how to grow broccoli is to plant your seeds indoor with 6 to 8 eight weeks before the last frost. After that you can put the hardened-off seedling in the soil with 2 weeks before the last frost. The best way to plant them is to put them into the ground up to their first true leaves at 18 inches apart.
- Another great tip on how to grow broccoli is to put some manure when the central head is about an inch across. This will give your new plants a nutritional boost.
- If you want to have healthy plants keep the soil moist. Offer them at least 2 inches of water per week.
- If you want to know how to grow broccoli in a very healthy way you should know that you have to offer your plants mulch to retain the moisture and deter weeds and the east thing that you have to do is to cover your broccoli plants with some floating row covers to protect them from cold.
- You can start picking your own broccoli when their heads are big enough to see.